Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Tuesday poem #142 : Julie Carr : Domestic economy

With so little time
I entered the field of the malnourished rug
Behind branches hides a goblin whose only desire is to bite your arm

I heard the amended Shakespearean sonnets. I heard the word “n-----” and saw a lighthouse in the place of a penis. I was a witness to the mouth of a child. I was an observer of observable things

The girl composing at piano
The Big Book of Why

But I’ve never liked lists, or I’ve liked them too much. Give me now instead
a future

                                    For eating



Julie Carr is the author of six books of poetry, most recently 100 Notes on Violence (Ahsahta, 2010), RAG (Omnidawn, 2014), and Think Tank (Solid Objects, 2015). She is also the author of Surface Tension: Ruptural Time and the Poetics of Desire in Late Victorian Poetry (Dalkey Archive, 2013). A chapbook of prose was recently released as a free pdf from Essay Press:

http://www.essaypress.org/ep-19/

Carr was a 2011-12 NEA fellow and is an associate professor at the University of Colorado in Boulder. She is the co-founder of Counterpath Press and Counterpath Gallery.

the Tuesday poem is curated by rob mclennan

No comments: